Monday, January 2, 2012

The first song


I'm sorry that I've been so inactive lately; just when I think that I'll have time to keep my blog updated and keep up with comments, I end up being busy! But to make up for it, here's a fairly long post: 



First, I've posted my first song cover! It's a Japanese pop song called 'Yellow' (with an English translation in the description); the main reason I haven't posted in so long is that I wanted to have done my first cover, and I knew I wanted for this to be my first video. 'Yellow' is a very happy and uplifting song, and I thought it was perfect for my first song, as the lyrics fit perfectly with my reasons for singing now. It's a fairly electronic song, but I plan on doing other types of music, too. (Or, perhaps "other styles" would be better, considering that most of the music I like and feel comfortable singing is Japanese... but I'll make certain to put a translation of the songs in the descriptions when I can!)

I've also changed the appearance of my blog; I feel like my tastes (in everything, really) have been changing to be more cheerful, colourful, and bright... Much like all of the sweet colours and sparkling things I like more and more, I think I'm becoming more honest with myself--like I've been finding the courage to be honest. I'm always creating whimsical, mysterious things, but I don't think I'm really so whimsical or mysterious at all, or at least not much, or maybe in a different sort of way; I've begun to care less for seeming elegant or ladylike, and now I say the silly things I want to say and wear things with glitter and sometimes dance in the hallways during morning break at school. (I suppose, looking back, my blog has really changed along with my personality over this past almost-year, hasn't it?)

Also, a few months ago my art teacher was kind enough to help me with a photo shoot of some of my artwork (well, she really did most of the work during the shoot). I haven't posted much art here, so I thought I would post the pictures! ...Or rather, I would post the pictures, but right now I have no way of getting them onto this computer. I promise I'll post them soon, though!

Next is what I'm most excited about: I'm working on a picture novella series loosely based on The Nutcracker and the Mouse King which I'm going to post in installments here. It's always been one of my favourite fairy tales, but I've also always found it a bit... disappointing. Eventually I thought, 'Why not just write my own version?', intending for it to be a short fairy-tale. As I thought of more ideas for it, though, it grew into more of a full-length fantasy story, which I've always wanted to try writing. 

(Well, actually, I have been working on that sort of story--for about three years now!--but I feel as though it will still be developing for several more years; almost like I was told in a dream that it would be the best and most important thing I'd ever write, so years of thinking and feeling will need to be put into it. Some things I've posted here were written from that story's herione's point of view.)

Anyway--I'd originally intended to call it a "light novel series"--the light novels I'd read were all short novels with a lot of illustrations--until I looked it up and found that it's more characterised by being simple and fast to read, and not always a short novel with pictures. Since the plot will be fairly complex and my writing style isn't always simple, I decided to call them "picture novellas" instead. The current title is The Manipulator and the Clockmaker, but I'm not sure whether I really want to call it that or not, so it will probably be changed.

Here is the character design for the main character, Marie:


(Well, really, it's the version of it I posted on my Facebook page, as I can't get to the actual file right now; the real character art is fixed a little bit (and less blurry), so I'll post it along with the other pictures.)

Hopefully I will have more time to post and comment from now on. Thank you, everyone, for always being so kind to me!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lumina, It's good to have you back! You sound so free and happy. I'm happy for you. Your story sounds fascinating as well. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. :) :)

    Happy New Year!

    oh, and I have a new blog. You can find it on this blogger profile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your voice is so pretty...loved the youtube song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! The song is so cute! I'm looking forward to hearing more of them. :)

    I really loved reading this post! That's wonderful you're feeling more comfortable in your own skin. Your 'picture novella' sounds perfectly charming and intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade and Melee, thank you both so much! ^^

    ReplyDelete